Lactation Support at Birthways Family Birth Center
Referral partners are a wonderful part of our care at Birthways because we can offer our families more precise help when they need it. For lactation support, we use Jennifer Chivas, RN, BSN, IBCLC from Lakewood Ranch Lactation when our mothers are having breastfeeding challenges.
Breastfeeding support is essential to encourage breastfeeding and make the process easier for new mothers!
Some benefits of breastfeeding include:
- Better gut health for the baby since breastmilk is easier to digest
- Better nutritional support for the baby because breastmilk contains optimum proportions of essential nutrients the baby needs for growth and development
- It’s more readily available and cost-effective
- For the mother, it improves breast health and prevents problems arising from milk retention
- It also provides natural contraception for the mother
Given all the benefits of breastfeeding, it’s important to get help in case you’re having trouble breastfeeding.
Here are a few reasons why mothers need lactation support:
- Unable to produce enough milk
- Unable to feed the baby properly
- Having trouble emotionally connecting with the baby during breastfeeding
- Experiencing intense pain during breastfeeding
- Having latching problems
- Producing too much milk
In case you’re facing any of these problems, it’s always good to consult an expert right away to help get things sorted.
A lactation expert can help you by:
- Assessing baby for any oral tether issues such as a tongue-tie
- Checking for any dysfunctions like an inverted nipple that might be causing latching issues
- Analyzing late-onset of lactation; it could be due to a number of reasons. A lactation expert will help you figure out the problem and will guide you towards possible treatments
- Teaching breastfeeding classes – Jennifer Chivas consults these classes every other month and offers private consulting for all new moms to be!
You can always contact us post-delivery if you have any questions about breastfeeding or are having trouble with any aspect of it. Our team and our trusted referrals will do their best to help you out!