Childbirth Education Classes at Birthways Family Birth Center
Becoming a parent for the first time can be a little scary. We understand! There are a lot of new details and advice coming your way on what it takes to birth, nurture, and raise kids.
This is where the importance of childbirth education classes comes in. Understanding the birthing process helps take a lot of anxiety away from parents during this phase and helps them prepare for what to do following birth as well!
What do childbirth education classes teach you?
Childbirth Education Classes provide parents with information on the following:
Pregnancy is a unique yet beautiful experience for new parents. Understanding the signs and symptoms of pregnancy makes it easier to get through. Through the classes, you get to understand what’s normal during pregnancy and what isn’t. You learn when it’s okay to stay home and when you should go see your healthcare provider.
- Available options and alternatives
When you’re devising your birth plan, it’s essential to stay informed regarding all your options and the pros or cons they each carry. Special classes educate you on all the different options you have for your birth. You can also learn about pain relief methods during birth and their effects, if any.
- Birthing stages
The process of labor is what induces most of the anxiety in parents-to-be. Learning about it helps take away some of the anxiety since you’re more informed of what to expect and how you can make things easier for yourself. There are different stages of birth. These classes help you understand the workings of each of these stages and what steps you can preemptively take to prepare yourself for these.
Your pregnancy is divided into 3 trimesters. Each trimester is important in its aspect since it covers different stages of your baby’s growth. There are different signs and symptoms that you may encounter during each of these trimesters. Knowing about them beforehand helps you prepare and takes away any undue stress you may encounter.
When should you start taking classes?
You can start taking birth education classes as soon as you plan on having a baby! At Birthways Family Birth Center, we usually start seeing moms for the first pregnancy class at around 12 weeks. Remember, these classes are to facilitate you, so schedule them at your convenience whenever you’re ready to learn!
Who should take childbirth education classes?
You can bring whoever you want with you to these classes! Childbirth education classes are encouraged for both birthing families and supporting people.
Classes at Birthways Family Birth Center
We offer three classes at Birthways Family Birth Center!
- Foundations of Pregnancy
- **This class is free & open to everyone in our community.
- Get the tips you need to promote a healthy pregnancy and help prepare you for birth. Perfect for families in the 1st or 2nd trimester! You’ll learn: what to eat & what to avoid, healthy movements & exercises, alternatives healing modalities safe for pregnancy, how to protect your pelvic floor, your options in healthcare and how to create the best team to support you during pregnancy, birth, and during the early weeks after baby arrives.
- Foundations of Birth
- **This workshop is offered as one Saturday session OR 2 evening sessions. This workshop discusses what to expect during labor, birth, & immediate postpartum. Topics include: how a baby is born, the anatomy of the pelvis, types of labor, signs & stages of labor, birth plans, complications, variations of labor & interventions, your options for birth, and labor support.
- Breastfeeding: A Great Start
- Lactation expert Jennifer Chivas, BSN, IBCLC, will prepare you for a great start in breastfeeding. You’ll learn what to expect, the benefits of nursing, positioning & latch techniques, how to establish & maintain milk supply, milk collection & storage, ensuring your baby is getting enough, how to conquer common challenges, returning to work, infant sleep patterns, & pro tips for success. **$50 per couple /$25 for Birthways Families. Pre-payment of $25 holds your spot.
Birthways understands that having a baby is a time of transition, new ideas, and new experiences, it’s the perfect time to build your knowledge and your support network. If you want to register for any of our classes you can call us at 941-366-2229 or check out our calendar!